- 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Approximately 1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil + olive oil for brushing dough
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 pound green garlic, leafy greens removed, white and pale green parts sliced lengthwise, then into 1/2-inch widths
- Coarse cornmeal (polenta) for dusting baking sheet
- 1/2 pound whole- milk mozzarella, coarsely grated
- 3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- Pinch hot red pepper flakes (optional)
How to Make the Dough
- Sprinkle the yeast over the warm water in a large bowl. Let stand for 2 minutes. Stir with a fork to dissolve the yeast. Then, let stand for 10 minutes.
- Whisk in the oil and salt. Then, add 1 1/2 cups of the flour, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Then, knead until smooth and elastic, 6 to 8 minutes, adding as much of the remaining 1/4 cup flour as needed to keep the dough from sticking.
- Shape into a ball. Then, transfer to an oiled bowl, and turn to coat with oil, and cover tightly with plastic wrap.
- Place in a warm spot and let rise for 2 hours.
- Punch down dough, then reshape into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 4 hours.
How to Make the Pizza Topping
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. If you are using a wood-fired oven, make sure to choose a firewood that will complement your taste in pizza.
- Toss the sliced potatoes with 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil, then season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake until the potatoes are done but not brown, about 10 minutes. Watch carefully as they burn easily. Use a spatula to transfer them to a plate.
- Increase the oven temperature to 550 degrees. If you are not using a wood-fired oven, then preheat a baking stone for at least 20 minutes.
- Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over moderately low heat. Then, add the green garlic. Season with salt and pepper and saute until softened. This usually takes 5 to 8 minutes. Afterwards, let cool.
- Dust a rimless baking sheet with cornmeal. Then, punch down the dough. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 13- to 14-inch round. Transfer the dough to the baking sheet.
- Working quickly so the dough doesn't stick, top first with mozzarella. Then, add the sliced potatoes, green garlic, crumbled goat cheese, thyme and optional hot pepper flakes. Finally, brush the rim with olive oil.
- Carefully slide the pizza onto the hot baking stone.
- Bake until the crust is browned and the topping is bubbling. This will take about 8 minutes.
- Finally, use the baking sheet to transfer pizza to a cutting board.
This green garlic pizza recipe serves 4.
PER SERVING: 565 calories, 23 g protein, 57 g carbohydrate, 27 g fat (12 g saturated), 54 mg cholesterol, 831 mg sodium, 2 g fiber.