Pizza Dough - Authentic Pizza Napoletana Dough Recipe
500 Gram 00 flour
325 Gram water (65% hydration)
10 Gram salt
3 Gram active dry yeast
1. Place all the ingredients in the mixing bowl.
2. Mix the dough ingredients in a stand mixer, or by hand. If you are using a stand mixer, mix it slowly for two minutes, faster for 5 minutes, and slow again for 2 minutes.
3. Cover the dough and let it rise for 2 hours, or until double.
4. Punch it down and push out the air bubbles. Form the dough into a large ball, then cut it into 4-5 equal pieces.
5. To make your pizza balls, shape each piece of dough into a ball. Gently roll your dough into a ball, then stretch the top of the ball down and around the rest of the ball, until the outer layer wraps around the other side. Pinch the two ends together to make a smooth ball with a tight outer "skin." Set your ball seam-side down where it can rest.
6. Dust your pizza balls with flour, and store them under a damp towel, in a proofing tray, or under plastic wrap. That's to prevent the outside of the ball from drying out and creating a crust, and becoming difficult to work with. The top of the pizza ball should be soft and silky.
7. Your pizza balls will need to rest for about an hour to become soft and elastic, so that they can be easily stretched into a thin crust pizza. If you won't need your dough for more than an hour, refrigerate it until you are ready to start.
8. At this stage your pizza balls are ready to be rolled into thin Neapolitana dough using your wooden dough roller.